Please Note: This recipe is from The Dukan Diet book and my husband and I don’t believe that it turned out tasty at all. Admittedly, the original recipe called for a vanilla bean and I didn’t have any, so I omitted it. When the custard came out if was very egg flavoured and not much vanilla flavoured, also, it wasn’t sweet at all. I have shown the recipe as I made it, as I know some people would like it the way it is. I will put in red the additions that I would make next time to make it more tasty. If you have a good custard recipe, or know how to tweak this one, please leave a comment, my husband would be very grateful🙂
Baked Vanilla Custard Recipe
Suitable for the Attack Phase
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract / 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups Skim Milk
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 cup Splenda
1. Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees.
2. Prepare a bain marie with 6 small ramekins in a baking dish.
3. Crack the 5 Eggs into a large bowl.
4. Beat the eggs and add the Vanilla Extract, Nutmeg and Splenda.
5. Heat the milk slowly, without letting it boil. Slowly add it to the Egg mixture, stirring constantly.
6. Pour custard evenly into ramekins. I actually transferred my mixture to a plastic jug to make it easier to pour. Sprinkle some extra nutmeg over each ramekin.
7. Boil the kettle and pour the boiling water 3/4 up the sides of the ramekins.
8. Very carefully transfer to the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
9. Allow to cool for another 2 hours in the bain marie.
- This makes quite a ‘set’ custard, not runny.
- I am going to try and salvage the custards you see here somehow, will let you know how I go🙂