Here in Australia we are able to buy kangaroo sausages (from Woolworths). Kangaroo is an extremely lean meat! It is rather strange eating our Coat of Arms though!
If you do not live in Australia, you may be able to organise with your butcher to make some extra lean sausages for you as Charlotte (in Scotland) does.
Dukan Sausage Casserole Recipe
Makes 4 decent Serves
Suitable for Cruise PV
1 tray of 5 Kangaroo Sausages (they are a little larger than normal ones)
4 pieces of Rindless Bacon, diced…the good part only (this ingredient is optional)
1 Brown Onions, thinly sliced
1 large Red Capsicum, diced
4 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 tin Salt Reduced Tomatoes
2 Fresh Tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup Beef Stock
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
2 tsp Dried Thyme or 2 tbsp Fresh Thyme
1 sachet Tomato Paste (2 tbsp)
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce or 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Sweetener
2 tbsp Corn Flour – mixed with a little water before adding to casserole
1. Lightly spray a heavy bottomed pan with Olive Oil, wipe excess away. Fry Sausages until they are cooked through. Remove them from the pan and cut them thickly.
2. In the same pan fry the Bacon, Onion, Capsicum, and Garlic until the Onion becomes translucent.
3. Return the cut Sausages to the pan and also add the Tinned and Fresh Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Beef Stock, Pepper Worcestershire Sauce, Sweetener and Dried Thyme (if using).
4. Allow to simmer on low for 10-15 minutes. Towards the end, add the Fresh Thyme (if using).
5. Pour the cornflour/water over the top. Continually stir until the casserole has thickened.