Such a yummy recipe! I have made it once before, and as soon as I remembered it, I had to make it again! The ingredients marked with ** are optional. If you are a really strict Dukaneer you would leave them out if you are not as strict and haven’t had any other tolerated foods in a day, you can include them…they add a whole new dimension of flavour!
There are lots of veggies in this recipe, so it is a great one for the whole family!
Meatballs in Tomato Sauce Recipe
Makes 4 Serves
Suitable for Cruise PV
500g Heart Smart Beef Mince
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
4 tbsp Oat Bran
1 grated Carrot
1 grated Zucchini
1 tbsp Pesto**
50g finely grated Parmesan**
1 tsp Olive Oil
4 slices Bacon (only the good round end part)
250g finely diced Mushrooms
2 tins Diced Tomatoes
1 cup Beef Stock
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
Fresh Basil (or dried)
To make the Meatballs:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Combine all Meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with your hands to combine.
3. Roll tablespoon sized balls and place on a baking dish, evenly spread apart.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, turning half way.
5. Remove from the oven and place on some paper towel.
To make the Tomato Sauce:
1. Once the meatballs are in the oven…Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the onion and gently fry until translucent.
2. Add the Bacon and Mushrooms and fry until cooked.
3. When Onion, Bacon and Mushrooms are cooked, add the tins of Tomatoes, Beef Stock, Pepper and Basil. Bring to a simmer and slowly cook until meatballs are ready.
4. Add Meatballs to the Tomato Sauce and allow to cook over a low heat for a little while longer until sauce reduces. This is not an exact science, it just depends on how it looks in your kitchen.
5. Serve with some fresh basil if you have it.