I had some Heart Smart Beef Mince in the fridge, that was destined to become meatballs…but the thought of rolling them all made my lazy side say meh. So instead I looked around for a savoury mince recipe to cook in the slow cooker, and pinched a few ingredients from this one and that…by the time I got around to cooking it I didn’t have enough time for the slow cooker, just cooked it on the stove top in my favourite casserole dish and it turned out quite yummy.
Here’s the recipe I came up with…
One Pot Savoury Mince Recipe
Makes 3 decent Serves
Suitable for Cruise PV
(sorry about the bad pic…iPhone)
1/2 tsp Oil
500g Heart Smart Beef Mince
1 stick Celery, finely chopped
1 small Onion, finely chopped
1 small Green Capsicum, finely chopped
1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp White Vinegar
1 tsp Sweetener
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 cup Beef Stock
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the beef mince and brown.
2. Empty the beef into a strainer and get most of the excess oil out of the pan.
3. Into the same pan, add the garlic, onion, capsicum and celery. Cook vegetables until softened.
4. Return beef mince to the pan and add all other ingredients.
5. Simmer covered over the lowest heat, stirring occasionally.
- I let mine cook for about 15 minutes once all the ingredients were in. Just double check that the liquid has not run out…if it looks like it might, add a little bit more. Or, if it looks like there’s too much, leave the lid off and turn the heat up a touch to let it evaporate.
- As always with a dish like this, use what is already in your cupboard in terms of condiments. Don’t have soy sauce? Use worcestershire instead (I just really need to buy some)
- You could very well cook this in the slow cooker from step 4 onwards…just pop it on in the morning and leave it on Auto for 6-7 hours.
I would love to know if you give any of my recipes a try….leave me a comment and let me know how they turn out for you 🙂